Impalas.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 63 Impala SS (2dr). I currently have 15x7 all around. I want to change out my current disc brakes (11" rotors, 9" calipers) to fit 14s. I have skirts which match the car but can't use because the wheels are too wide. I'm trying to avoid shortening the rear end. I've always been told wider wheels on rear is ok NOW I'm told I can run 14x7s on the front and 14x5s on the rear. Really???? Is anyone running narrower wheels on the rear? Doesn't the weight shift to back when moving? What safety issues am I looking at with smaller/narrower rear wheels? I will not order new wheels until I get this figured out. Plz help. Thank you

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Original type 14 X 6 Wagon Wheels should be no problem with Fender Skirts as a rough guide. As long as the tires aren't too wide as well.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Also, you need to make sure the Rear is centered. A car raised higher than stock or lower than stock could offset it and you would need an adjustable Pan Hard Bar to correct it.

Reactions: cintocrunch

·
Registered
229 Posts
I wouldn't be using 5" rear & 7" front, it's going to annoy you looking at the car every time you do, not to mention constantly answering the same questions. First thing I would do is measure the backspace of the current rear 15" rim & then see if an alternate back space rim & perhaps a slightly narrower tire might get you to where you need to be. Check with your mates, maybe someone else has a rim size that you can test fit to get a better idea before spending coin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'll let others chime in and correct anything I say. First consideration is a stock look rim or a custom look rim. Most people run 15" rims because it is difficult to find a disk brake system that fits in the 14" rim but it's not impossible. Now that you've made that choice it's time to look at rim and tire width. Ask yourself what I am doing with the car. What speeds do I run and in what weather? How much rubber do I need on the road. Coose a tire width and then the rim width. The rim width should match the actual tread width. Not tire width. To get a good a fit choose the rim offset that will let you run a wider tire in a smaller space. Personally, I run 14 x 6 all the way around but certainly do have room for 7" on the rear. Here is a link to rim offset. What is Wheel Offset? - Les Schwab

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll let others chime in and correct anything I say. First consideration is a stock look rim or a custom look rim. Most people run 15" rims because it is difficult to find a disk brake system that fits in the 14" rim but it's not impossible. Now that you've made that choice it's time to look at rim and tire width. Ask yourself what I am doing with the car. What speeds do I run and in what weather? How much rubber do I need on the road. Coose a tire width and then the rim width. The rim width should match the actual tread width. Not tire width. To get a good a fit choose the rim offset that will let you run a wider tire in a smaller space. Personally, I run 14 x 6 all the way around but certainly do have room for 7" on the rear. Here is a link to rim offset. What is Wheel Offset? - Les Schwab

I've been waiting for info and decided to repost question today. Unfortunately, I took my car to Les Schwab (2 different locations). They said they were busy. I made an appt, went back and basically was told there was no one available to give me fitment/measurement info. I was told "when I'm ready to purchase, come back and they can help me get set up". Basically, we're not going to waste our time if you're not buying from us. At another Les Schwab location I pulled in because I had a screw in the tire. He looked at the tire and said the the screw was pretty deep and they don't "plug" tires. Of course I was told that they couldn't remove the screw without me buying a tire which he first stated was rare that they carried the size. $370+ for tire. I drove to a mom/pop location and the screw was removed. The man came back so fast to show me the screw that I knew I was going to be paying several hundreds. It was only the head of the screw stuck in the tread; it hadn't punctured the tire. Had I went along with Les Schwab, I would have purchased a new tire unnecessarily and THEY STILL WILL NOT HELP ME WITH TIRE FITMENT AND SIZE. At the original 2 locations, the guys were more interested in why I, as a female, had such car!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Sounds like you need to stay away from that place. I've never heard of them myself. Must be a regional outfit.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Can't comment on Les Swhwab, but you can, & it's a very good idea to, buy & put a tubeless tire repair kit in your car somewhere. Even if you can't fit a plug yourself for some reason, if you put the hood up I'll guarantee you someone will stop & help.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Old type Tire Plugs are no longer recommended. May even be illegal now here in the US. The new way is a Patch-Plug, but needs to be applied from the inside. Best way is just to have a good spare.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Wow that's crazy especially with modern tubeless tires. I've fitted them & used them on motorcycle tires with no issues at all & all the motorcycle shops I've worked in would routinely do the same thing. The only time I've ever seen a tire that needed to be repaired the way you describe is when the hole had turned into a split where a plug just wouldn't work.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
That's the way we used to do it, but at some point it changed. What type of plugs would you use? I liked the string type myself. I must have plugged 100's through the years starting back in the late 60's.

That said the strings are still available for sale, in stores like Wal-Mart but not used professionally and may be illegal to use on US roads as mentioned.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yep, same as you. This is the contents of a typical kit you can still buy in Australia for under AU$20 or US$13. Our road laws vary from one state or territory to another in varying degrees & considering there's only seven that in itself is quite remarkable really.

Tool Font Auto part Titanium Metal

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I still have the same tools like above but only use them for something off road now. I have to say that even though the Plug-Patch is more work, it is a better way to fix a puncture these days. Haven't tried one yet though. May be just worth to let the tire store handle it, as long as the price is reasonable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am going back to your original post. What is it you are trying to accomplish? Do you just want to get your skirts on or do you really want 14" wheels? To put disk brakes and wider tires on the 1st generation Chevy's is so popular the internet is full of discussion on what you need and where to get it. There are 14" wheels that fit the 11" disk brakes. Eklers for one has them. Coker tire is a good resource. If you stay with 15" rims that have more back space you can keep your hubcaps. Try to rephrase your question.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Well that's pretty good. Lately I've been giving my business to Firestone. They have been giving me pretty good prices, but when I got a rare flat tire a short while back, I figured I could get a free repair, but the answer was "no, sorry".

·
Registered
452 Posts
I actually had to go back and get tire warranty on Saturday from Firestone from sidewall damage, only 7k miles on the tires.
dropped off at 4pm...see you tomorrow (I knew it would be)....called 1pm..."oh, it just went in the bay"...3 pm..."oh, just had the paperwork handed to me"...4pm..pay another $31.50 for RoadHazard..."total is $41 with tax sir"...paid it, thinking about it as I walked outside and read the paperwork. really? you're charging me a $4 tire disposal fee? didn't ask if I wanted it?
got the email asking for survey....I let 'em have it. they called me and I explained. "I went to YOUR location since you're closer than the other location I got them at" (the other location I know the guys and quite honestly I think they do better work, as it's in a rich neighborhood) "then I asked 'you do remember me?'" " yessir from the other day" "not what I meant. I used to deliver parts to your store" "huh?.......oohhhhhhhhhhhh" "yeah, I didn't mention that when I walked in to make sure I didn't get preferential treatment, and I didn't think it was appropriate" "well, we'd like to earn your business again"

........ I think we can leave it at that

1 - 20 of 20 Posts