Impalas.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ’64 Impala needs new springs. In researching here, I found mention of Eibach springs that have a progressive rate. This sounds like a good idea, assuming it starts with the current ‘soft’ rate and gets progressively firmer. As I recall my Impala would ‘float’ around a lot. A soft ride, but one that seemed ready to disconnect from the road at any moment. Does anybody here have any experience with the Eibach springs and how they affect the ride? And where did you buy them? Eibach’s website does not list an application for 58-64 full sized Chevys.

My goal would be to keep the suspension comfortable, but not so ‘floaty’. In the distant past, I upgraded to a thicker anti-sway bar in the front and added one to the rear. I will be using a Cragar SS type wheels and the widest tires I can get away with (wish I could remember what size I used back then).

I want it looking like I had it in this old picture

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Found this parts look up table that is helpful
http://101part.com/coilsprings/chevy/v8_impala.htm

It works out to these choices in Moog part numbers:

1964 283 standard with AC and Auto Trans
Front 6000 Rear standard 661 or heavy duty 6033

1964 283 SS with AC and Auto Trans
Front 658A Rear standard 661 or heavy duty 6033

1964 327 standard with AC and Auto Trans
Front 6004 Rear standard 661 or heavy duty 6033

1964 327 SS with AC and Auto Trans

1964 409 standard with AC and Auto Trans
Front 6000 Rear standard 661 or heavy duty 6033

1964 409 SS without AC and Auto Trans

I am guessing the Front 658A is a stiffer spring than the 6000 or the 6004 as it came on the SS (which sounds better for my tastes) and the Rear 6033 (heavy duty) is also probably a stiffer spring.

I still have not found any info on Eibach springs.

·
Super Moderator
3,630 Posts
I've had Eibachs on my Lexus GS400 for about 5 years and I love them!!

Nothing wrong with Moog springs, they are awesome, but I would not expect any from them to be the progressive-rate. Perhaps a call to Eibach??
Remember that the stock spring,...especially one created for something your car doesn't have (like a 409 or A/C) will probably be a slightly taller spring, thus raising your front end a bit. (especially if your current ones are old/high mileage and are sagging a little over stock specs)

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right, the engine weight accounts for the jump from the 6000 to the 6004 spring in front. Although the 658A is used on the 283, 327 and 409 :confused:

For my purposes, with a non-original 350 (383) engine, the springs for the 327 SS are probably close enough and hopefully a bit stiffer.

My old springs are sagging a lot. It has been a few years, but last time I drove it, I was scraping on the driveway on the way out. While a low rider aficionado might like the current state, it is way to low to be practical or even attractive in my opinion. I want to be close to the stock height. I remember replacing these springs way back in the mid 80's. What a sweaty job it was compressing the springs:p. I guess I get another go round with it now.

I did give Eibach a call, and they have nothing more than the website says, which is nothing for 64 Impalas :( .

·
Premium Member
13,156 Posts
A progressive rate spring (which can be purchased from any vendor, including Moog or Eaton) has different spacing between the coils as they are wound. By heat treating one end of the spring differently from the other with the difference in spacing combines to create a spring that gets progressively stiffer as the spring compresses.

They are custom wound and not in the book so you will have to talk to an engineer at Moog or Eaton about buying them (they are not much more expensive than a stock spring, but it can seem to take forever to get a spring wound. As the "when" it gets wound depends upon the diameter of the wire used to make the custom spring. You will also need to provide the engineer with basic data such as the weight at each corner of the car and ride height to the frame from level ground.

A better solution is double adjustable shock absorbers. You can also install spring jacks while the springs are out (A NASCAR trick to set ride height). These combined wit a stiffer spring and polyurethane body bushings will firm up the wallow to a degree. You still have to deal with the X-frame factory designed to bend like a piece of spaghetti to offer a jet smooth ride to customers back in the late fifties and early sixties. The definition of a smooth ride was for the driver to be oblivious to the road beneath the car.

Big Dave

·
Registered
467 Posts
I agree with Dave's take on it, as above.

I found MOOG sprrings at Rock Auto to be the best solution for my '63 - and you can't beat the price. They offer several manufacturer's choice - but my mechanic said to go with Moog. I simply wanted the "Jet-Smooth" float that I remember as a kid. I'm not planning on taking any curves at warp-speed. ~ M.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Moog Springs

I'm restoring a 63 SS 327 4spd non A/C and need help finding the right springs. I want to take out the (float/bobble) feeling but do not want a harsh ride. I want a stock ride height or maybe a 1" drop. I'm looking at the Moog springs and getting confused. Can anyone who has Moog springs on their Impala give me some advice.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I put the Moogs on (the ones mentioned above) and have had them on for about 3 months now. At the same time, I changed all the tires, wheels, suspension bushings for new Energy poly bushings and new Monroe SensaTrac shocks (the old shocks were probably close to non-functional). The new tires are Diamond Back Tires 245/60R14, (which is a BF Goodrich T/A Radial with whitewalls added by Diamond Back Tires. I kept my old upgraded front anti-sway bar as it works well, and I am going to add a different rear anti-sway bar, one that does not hang down so much and call attention to itself.

The change if the ride quality is very positive. The ride is still reasonably smooth but going over a raised rail road grade does not give me the sensation of flying out of control that it did before. The ride is much more “in control” feeling without being harsh. Since all the changes were done at once, it is hard to say how much was the shocks or springs or bushings, etc. However, I think the springs can take the credit for being more firm and the shocks can take the credit for keeping things smooth in small bumps but firming up on the big bumps. The tires and wheels can take credit for getting rid of most of the side to side wallowing feel.

This is what the ride height looks like with the new springs etc. I think it is pretty close to stock height and level. The best thing is that it no longer handles like the boat in the background ;)

·
Premium Member
13,156 Posts
You can call Moog directly or leave a private message at their home page>contact us and they will e-mail you a responce to your question. I have worked with both Moog and Eaton in the past and besides being incredibly knowledgable about springs they where very courteous and helpfull in their recommendations about their product.

Big Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I am replacing all the suspension parts while I have it apart so I'm hoping for the same positive results. I will be using the same wheel/tire combo I have on my 62 SS, 17" Torque Thrust and low profile tires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a question for anyone out there that can help i am doing a frame off restoration on a 64 Impala ss 237 C.I.D factory A/C car and i am at the point of putting the springs back in her. The car rode alittle high and very stiff when i bought it and now i am to the point where i am gonna purchase springs i have read alot of forums so my question is does anyone have the correct part number for moog springs for my application and also does anyone know the length of the stock springs for a 64 Impala ss 327 with factory A/C? thanks

·
Premium Member
13,156 Posts
Welcome to the Team Arturo!

I do not know the free height, the spring rate, the wire diameter or the end type for your car. I have a Moog catalog will all of the springs they sell so once I find a part number for a stock spring I can look up in the catalog matrix to find a similar spring that changes only one characteristic to affect only one way the car handles. With that number I can go back into the catalog and find another spring part number that changes another variable that controls another aspect of the car's ride. That is how I sourced my springs when I was building my cars earlier in my life.

Today I pick up my nationwide cell plan phone and call up the engineers at Moog or Eaton and let them figure it out. As far as the stock A/C Chevy Moog Spring, if it is still for sale RockAutodotcom will have a part number for you.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,c...12,a,www.google.com+Search+for+1964+CHEVROLET

Big Dave

·
Registered
144 Posts
Here is the long answer to your issue. ...and I believe the most pratical. I struggled with the situation with my '64 for too long myself. Lowering the front by about an inch will pevent a lot of the 'lift' caused by air build up under the font of the car at highway speeds and eliminate a lot of that vague floating. Getting new 1 coil shorter spings from (in my case) Ecklers will lower the front end about 2.5 inches which is too much for your wheel/tire combination so in conjunction with the shorter springs a proper size space (7/16? ...I can't remember) spacer needs to be installed at the same time to arrive at the resired heigth and give your car a proper subtle 'stance'. You will notice a MUCH better 'controlled' feeling and not suffer any significant increase in harshness. I considered variable rate springs myself, but decided against it. Determining predicted ride height with the variable rate springs was much too ambiguous. Life is too short and money somewhat limited to be buying and installing springs.
For shock absorbers, well everyone has their opinion. I found that the KYBs are by far the best for this application, give excellent wheel control with that spring/wheel/tire combiation without harshness and they seem to retain that quality forever.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My ’64 Impala needs new springs. In researching here, I found mention of Eibach springs that have a progressive rate. This sounds like a good idea, assuming it starts with the current ‘soft’ rate and gets progressively firmer. As I recall my Impala would ‘float’ around a lot. A soft ride, but one that seemed ready to disconnect from the road at any moment. Does anybody here have any experience with the Eibach springs and how they affect the ride? And where did you buy them? Eibach’s website does not list an application for 58-64 full sized Chevys.

My goal would be to keep the suspension comfortable, but not so ‘floaty’. In the distant past, I upgraded to a thicker anti-sway bar in the front and added one to the rear. I will be using a Cragar SS type wheels and the widest tires I can get away with (wish I could remember what size I used back then).

I want it looking like I had it in this old picture

1 - 16 of 16 Posts