Impalas.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have any experience with the Stage 3 drum brake kit from musclecarbrakes.com? It looks like a great turn-key system for upgrading drum brakes, with dual-circuit master cylinder, wheel cylinders, drums, shoes and hoses for the B-body cars. I want to convert to a 2-circuit MC, but I don't really want to go with disc brakes, because I don't do a lot of driving in heavy traffic and I want to retain the stock wheels.

It runs about a thousand bucks for everything. Any info or input appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
3,407 Posts
if they do it right, cryogenic treating for the drums is the real deal.

on a similar note, there was an old, full size 67 GTO that competed in one of the early Car Craft magazine Real Street (or whatever it was) competitions and it had 4 wheel Drum brakes - made some crazy good stops from 60mph without sneaky sticky tires.

A grand sounds like a lot for the kit, but, I want to believe they got the right parts.
You could ask what the friction co-efficient of the pads is - or who makes them, and then research comparison data. Would be cool if they are ceramic pads.

·
Super Moderator
13,132 Posts
Cryogenic freezing is a stress relief process to remove any micro cracks (at the molecular level in the iron alloy) which could propagate during repeated heat cycling. It makes the part stronger (destructive testing proves this part), and the part lasts longer (proven under racing conditions); so it isn't snake oil. Whether it is economically justified for a street driven car? That I can not say.

Big Dave

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Does anyone here have any experience with the Stage 3 drum brake kit from musclecarbrakes.com? It looks like a great turn-key system for upgrading drum brakes, with dual-circuit master cylinder, wheel cylinders, drums, shoes and hoses for the B-body cars. I want to convert to a 2-circuit MC, but I don't really want to go with disc brakes, because I don't do a lot of driving in heavy traffic and I want to retain the stock wheels.

It runs about a thousand bucks for everything. Any info or input appreciated.
I was curious if you bought the kit from Muscle car brakes and if you were happy with them? I am looking at them for my 65 SS.
Thanks
Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts