Impalas.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp, I looked everywhere but couldn't find an answer. I have a 63 that came with a 283 PG. It now has a 76 truck 350. I replaced the starter, and later the nose snapped in half. I got a brace but it is too short (when the brace is on the starter it's about 3/4 ish too low to reach the hole in the block. Anyone know which (if?) brace works with this combo? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welp, I looked everywhere but couldn't find an answer. I
Louie, a starter cannot produce enough torque to snap the nose. The only source for enough torque is a kickback from an engine misfire while starting the engine. Double check timing and spark plug wires, distributor cap, rotor to eliminate the problem. As for the actual bracket, there are a few different designs. You have to poke around to find a correct one for your starter/engine combo. The purpose of that bracket is to prevent movement of the starter body and flywheel alignment so the gear teeth maintain proper mesh. When the engine backfires and the starter drive teeth mesh wrong then something has to give. The aluminum nose is the weakest part.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts