Impalas.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stater won"t turn over the engine after driving fo

My 67 Impala SS has a starting problem after engine has reached running temp.

It will start every morning with no problem., but after running errands it might turn thr startter ot it might not. We put a new starter on it and it did not help thr situation. where Should we look next?

Thanks.

·
Registered
420 Posts
My 67 Impala SS has a starting problem after engine has reached running temp.

It will start every morning with no problem., but after running errands it might turn thr startter ot it might not. We put a new starter on it and it did not help thr situation. where Should we look next?

Thanks.
Heat causes more resistance in electrical wiring (one reason why Big Dave asked about the headers). Look at the the cables running from the battery (both + and -), and the connectors. Look for anything that may also increase resistance (fraying, corrosion, etc).

Too much heat close to the starter (mostly caused by headers) can cause increased resistance in the starter motor windings too (causing 'slow crank').

A simple test is; next time it is acting up, 'jump' both the + and - cables (one at a time) with jumper cables to bypass each cable. See what happens.

The OEM cables were 6 gauge, recommend no higher (in number) than 2 gauge for both. Here's a vendor I recommend (much better quality than anything in a package):

https://www.batterycablesusa.com/2-gauge-battery-cables-2-awg.html

They will custom make cables to your specified length, gauge, color, connectors.

Ignition timing not set properly (not sufficiently advanced) can also cause 'slow cranking' at 'operating'
temps.

Pete

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No Headers and the original manifold. The starter acts like it is getting no power. No whirling or slow crank.

GH

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Do you get the click of the solenoid when you try to start?
Did you replace the solenoid when you replaced the starter?
Have you checked/cleaned the battery terminals? they can look solid, but inside the contact area, they are arcing.
Have you had the battery tested?

As a last resort, you might also want to look into a different kind of starter that uses magnets for the field. This way you only have to power the stator, which will have less electrical load.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you are not getting a click at all I would suspect the firewall connector. I had this problem on a 1962 impala I had years ago. The firewall connectors are prone to corrosion. When my old 62 would not start I would jump up and down on the front bumper then it would start. I since found out it was the firewall connector.

·
Super Moderator
13,041 Posts
If it were mine I would take the tool I use to poke holes in car seats out of my back pocket (most call it a screw driver) and short out the battery cable on the solenoid to the the "start terminal" (the small wire on the inside of the solenoid when viewed from the front). If the starter fires right up you are not getting any power from the ignition switch to the solenoid; and that problem will have to be addressed. I would fix it by permanently wiring in a push button start switch so you can bump the motor over when adjusting the valves, but this isn't a repair to your wiring problem, just a way to get home again.

If the starter drags or grinds to the point where it is not turning because the Commutator (the central steel core with all of the copper wires inside the electromagnet) is dragging across the permanent magnets and the electromagnets of the Strator (the outside of the starter. This is only possible if the brass bushings that the commutator rides on are worn out. You need to rebuild the starter motor or replace it.

If it just turns slowly with the ignition key on (which it is not you need to replace the starter solenoid or mount a remote Ford starter solenoid on the fire wall as shown in this dfiagram. Most big blocks with headers take this route as the heat radiated off of the headers roasts the solenoid windings preventing the plunger from moving to complete the circuit.

Big Dave

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you are not getting a click at all I would suspect the firewall connector. I had this problem on a 1962 impala I had years ago. The firewall connectors are prone to corrosion. When my old 62 would not start I would jump up and down on the front bumper then it would start. I since found out it was the firewall connector.
I bet the neighbors gave you weird looks :LOL:
youtu.be/0XC1fGYWLCE?t=62

1 - 9 of 9 Posts