Impalas.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i know a friend that has a 62 impala and he says only 27 were made with the ss options including ac is this tru. it is the 4 door hardtop with the 3 piece bumpers, headlights, etc.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
There were no 4 Door full-size SS Chevrolets produced in 1962 (or any other years during the 60's). There were 140,918 full-size cars that year optioned with AC, which represents approximately 9.9% of all full-size cars produced. (AC was not an "SS only" option).

Any `61-`69 4 Door full-size Hardtop however, is fairly rare by itself - as most 4 Doors produced during these years were Sedans. You make no mention of the drive train in the car, but what your friend may be referring to with regard to "SS options" on this particular car are probably things that may have been standard on a `62 SS Impala, like heavy duty F40/F41 suspension, 4-speed, SS specific instrumentation, maybe even a 409(?)... Most of which could have been ordered on any full size car.

In any event, a `62 4 Door hardtop is pretty unusual, but I'm not sure how he arrived at the "only 27" figure. Does he have any original documentation for the car to support his production number break down?

Bigblox

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
is it tru???

it is a 62 4 door sedan impala with the ss options. it has the regular motor. i wish i had pics up here. i am working on downloading them soon.:thumbsup:thanks for the info. he mentioned only 27 rolled out of the detroit assembly line in 62 with these ss options and factory ac. he has the original sticker that is hard to find or come by which can be found on the in side of the trunk. it is an auto trans with the 283 motor. body by fisher decals in the door trim.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Like Bigblox has stated, there is no such thing as a '62 4-Door SS (SS as in Super Sport). The 4-Door Hardtop is also called a Sport Sedan. Some people incorrectly will call their Sport Sedan an SS. Does this car have: Bucket Seats, Grab Bar, Swirls in the side chrome and truck panels, Spinner Hubcaps as well as the SS Emblems?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
sorry i guess it is not an ss but how do you explain the 3 piece bumpers, lights, and ac are these all stock or are they the ss options. it has the bench seat which is power. does the "body by fisher" mean anything? thanks for the input.

·
Registered
971 Posts
The 3-piece bumpers are standard. It's the rare 1-piece ones that are hard to find and much in demand. Not sure what you mean by "lights". All '62 Impala's have 3 rear lights per side. The AC was a regular option. Any '62 Full Size could have had been ordered with AC and many were as Bigblox has also stated above. The Power Bench Seat is interesting and is kind of rare for a '62, but then again many had them.
All the bodies on '62's were made by "Fisher".

Bill

·
Registered
917 Posts
sorry i guess it is not an ss but how do you explain the 3 piece bumpers, lights, and ac are these all stock or are they the ss options. it has the bench seat which is power. does the "body by fisher" mean anything? thanks for the input.
Basically somebody ordered that 4 door with a few nice options, Power seat, AC etc. I have a 61 4 door at my house right now that was a big block 348 car, AC, PB, PS, grille guard, back bumper guards, because the original owner wanted those options prior to taking purchase of the car when it was new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts