Impalas.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an alignment done a few weeks ago and my steering wheel isnt straight. I was told I could remove the steering wheel and straighten it up a bit which I did. All seems fine, but someone told me I messed up the turn signal canceller and need a new alignment.

·
Super Moderator
13,049 Posts
If steering wheel isn't reinstalled correctly you could break the fifty year old brittle white nylon plastic turn signal cancel switch. That means you need to replace the switch if it is broken, not realign the car. Position of the steering wheel has no affect on alignment.

Race cars pop the steering wheel off and on to gain entry and exit from the car (hard to crawl through the jungle gym of roll bar cage pipes with the wheel in place). They don't realign the car after the driver gets in every time.

Big Dave

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Maybe hindsight now but you should have taken it back to the alignment shop. Getting the wheel straight is part of the job.
You need to index the steering wheel properly to the column spline and then have your alignment tech take care of the rest.
Also might want to make sure the steering box is indexed correctly on the rag joint.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If steering wheel isn't reinstalled correctly you could break the fifty year old brittle white nylon plastic turn signal cancel switch. That means you need to replace the switch if it is broken, not realign the car. Position of the steering wheel has no affect on alignment.

Race cars pop the steering wheel off and on to gain entry and exit from the car (hard to crawl through the jungle gym of roll bar cage pipes with the wheel in place). They don't realign the car after the driver gets in every time.

Big Dave
Thank you sir!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe hindsight now but you should have taken it back to the alignment shop. Getting the wheel straight is part of the job.
You need to index the steering wheel properly to the column spline and then have your alignment tech take care of the rest.
Also might want to make sure the steering box is indexed correctly on the rag joint.
Agreed I should have taken it back, but it was 100 times easier to pop the wheel off myself for this one. Next time I will know to double check before it comes off the rack. TY!

·
Super Moderator
3,371 Posts
wow - that is sad on the part of the shop. like JustJohn said, it's part of the dang job of the alignment to do so and ensure the steering wheel stays straight.

Did they even give you a printout so that you have a hardcopy of the before and after alignment specs?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Actually the last couple of alignments I have had done, I had to pay extra to get the steering wheel straight. It wasn't too much extra, but extra non the less.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The old school mechanics are dying off and the younger ones can't grasp the simplicity of classic car steering. First, you need to determine the exact true center of the gearbox. Start by turning the steering wheel all the way left to right then divide by two and locate center. This places the gearbox worm in it's center. Now, wheel alignment can be performed. The tie rods have to be adjusted in or out to make the tires parallel, setting proper to at that time.
As for the T/S switch ... install a new one but scribe a good visible line on the tip top of the shaft at the nut for easy re-installation of the wheel. Now, wash your car. Classic cars have feelings and perform better when clean and happy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow - that is sad on the part of the shop. like JustJohn said, it's part of the dang job of the alignment to do so and ensure the steering wheel stays straight.

Did they even give you a printout so that you have a hardcopy of the before and after alignment specs?
I did get a print out and it was way better than before it went in. A buddy of mine runs the shop and it was just something overlooked at the end of the day.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The old school mechanics are dying off and the younger ones can't grasp the simplicity of classic car steering. First, you need to determine the exact true center of the gearbox. Start by turning the steering wheel all the way left to right then divide by two and locate center. This places the gearbox worm in it's center. Now, wheel alignment can be performed. The tie rods have to be adjusted in or out to make the tires parallel, setting proper to at that time.
As for the T/S switch ... install a new one but scribe a good visible line on the tip top of the shaft at the nut for easy re-installation of the wheel. Now, wash your car. Classic cars have feelings and perform better when clean and happy.
Thank you for the info. I am still learning it all!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts