Impalas.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am highly considering doing a resto mod for a 66-69 impala. I have found a few of these cars without the engine and transmission so I thought it would be perfect for restoring the body and interior but doing a modern V8 and manual tranny. I wanted to build the engine before I jumped into the car. I was considering a 350, 383, or 454 but honestly cannot decide which would be best. Any suggestions? I want a street car that I could really smoke some tires and turn some heads if I wanted, just some beefy American made muscle. Which should I go with?

·
Premium Member
13,147 Posts
Welcome to the Team Kody!

In all seriousness the body first.

Once you have the car body and paint restored, suspension upgraded (going fast is fun, but being able to stop safely is even more fun), with a comfy clean interior you can drop a GMPP crate motor and tranny in over the weekend, unless you are going to include LS-x power. The LS-x series of motors is where every one is going to day for good reason. Smooth idle, easy starts, and great mileage, yet you can fry your tires on demand making big block power out of a fly weight all aluminum engine.

I used to build motors, and I have built hundreds of motors in the past from stock to pro stock. I can not build a motor using Chevy parts for the price that GMPP will sell you a brand new motor with a factory warranty (just like a new car). You break it it have it towed to any GM dealer and they will fix it or replace it for free. You can not do that with any other motor, whether you or an independent built it, and not for less money.

Which is a good thing because it is going to cost you at least twice what you think it will to restore the car to your satisfaction (even more than that if you don't make a plan and stick to it).

Big Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts