Impalas.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still pokin along with these wiring hurdles & am stumped on this one. Ok, after doing the electric fan relay & alt. conversion I'm on to the dash lights & taillights. I found the problem with the dash lights, the green wire was corroded into in the fuse block. I repaired that but I still don't have taillights. I'm not getting any power on the brown wires in the headlight switch plug yet I'm gettin power on the taillight fuse & it's not blown nor is it blowing as when I put my Fluke meter on continuity mode & check from the brown wires in the switch plug to ground I'm getting continuity. The way I understand it the brown wires send power out to the taillights. If this is so then I don't think I should be getting anything when I check the brown wires to ground or am I completely off on this.

·
Registered
43 Posts
tail lights

If you are checking between the plug and ground you will have continuity if the bulbs are good. if you remove the bulbs and still have continuity there is a short and should have blown fuze.
Have you checked the switch?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didnt realize that. I have checked my grounds & tried a new switch. There are 2 brown wires in the same terminal on the headlight switch & i'm assuming one is for the taillights & the other is for the front markers. I'm gonna pull the bulbs & check again. Thank you for your help. On a side note, what Big Dave posted in another thread of mine about burning my car & garage down has me a little nervous, lol. I am by far an expert on electrical & am finding out I dont remember as good as I used to, lol.
If you are checking between the plug and ground you will have continuity if the bulbs are good. if you remove the bulbs and still have continuity there is a short and should have blown fuze.
Have you checked the switch?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem solved. It was the ground on the radiator support behind the battery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts