Impalas.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking of buying a 61 impala ss wagon with a 283, low original miles, clean solid body and all original car but im seeing these valued all over the place. Nada values are over $55k average condition but it doesn't look like they're bring much money with online listings asking prices??? Well i dont see any exact year ss but similar years, non ss ive seen 1 or 2. Interior is in good shape too, 2 owner car. Can i get advise? Is this a good or bad deal at $30k? Thanks in advance for all your help!

·
Registered
954 Posts
First off, there is no such thing as an SS Wagon.

In '61 only though, they were available on any model Impala except the Wagon.

Now some were "badged" and "decorated" by the dealer in '61, but those cars were not true SS cars.

Others converted them to be SS cars themselves, but then again they are not true SS cars.

·
Super Moderator
13,043 Posts
The SS was limited to two door hard top, convertible and four door hard top but not any sedans or wagons. The SS is just additional chrome trim, badges, full SS wheel covers, and bucket seats. Only the bucket seats enhance your driving experience. Engines were in-line six, base SBC V8, a few high horsepower SBC V8's (very few) and the 348-409 W series big block Chevy engine. Transmission was either a three speed or four speed Borg-Warner T-10 manual four speed transmission; or a PowerGlide (in line six had it's own much weaker PG that had different internal parts than the V8 version). The weaker Saginaw three speed didn't appear until 1962 (but once again there were three versions with different torque ratings in the Borg-Warner three speeds: so just because it says Borg-Warner doesn't make it a T-14 heavy duty box out from behind a BBC, most were the light duty T-90 developed in WWII for the overland corp for use in their general purpose half ton truck powered by a four cylinder, or medium the duty T-92 transmissions built post WWII for the new car manufacture market.

Big Dave

·
Registered
954 Posts
-As mentioned, any Impala except the Wagon
-No Bucket Seats in a '61 SS (they were not available until '62)
-A true Factory Built SS had not only the Trim Package, but Special Brakes and a Special Suspension, along with a Special Cowl Tag.
-W Block Engines only (choice of 3 different Hi-Horse Power 348's)
-No 3-Speed Trans available (4-Speed and a Powerglide only)

For a little extra info, only 453 True SS cars were ever built in '61. Also the Powerglide was only available with the 305 HP 348.

·
Super Moderator
1,511 Posts
For 30k, I would expect a nicely restored car. Perfect paint, every mechanical system gone through, new upholstery, etc. No way for that price for "a nice original car".

·
Registered
4 Posts
As mentioned, any high HP (348/409) Impala (except Nomad wagons) were eligible to be upgraded with other mandatory options at the factory to make them an SS in 61. There was no bucket seats with the SS option in 61. However, only sport coupes and a couple of convertibles have ever been positively identified as genuine SS. The attached PDF is from the 1961 passenger car specifications and details the engine and mandatory options list. And lastly, because the SS option was introduced mid-production, factory SS were only produced by Fisher and Chevrolet after Feb 61.

Attachments

·
Registered
954 Posts
As mentioned, any high HP (348/409) Impala (except Nomad wagons)
Good point, the top of the line Wagon was still a Nomad in '61 (last year).

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Im thinking of buying a 61 impala ss wagon with a 283, low original miles, clean solid body and all original car but im seeing these valued all over the place. Nada values are over $55k average condition but it doesn't look like they're bring much money with online listings asking prices??? Well i dont see any exact year ss but similar years, non ss ive seen 1 or 2. Interior is in good shape too, 2 owner car. Can i get advise? Is this a good or bad deal at $30k? Thanks in advance for all your help!
I own a 63 With SS badges in place of the Impala Emblem... 383 stroker, Turbo.350.....8 inch Vette rallys...SUSPENSION upgrades. On a recent trip to Florida saw a 61 NEEDED LOTS OF WORK..sold for 8 grand. If you have the BUG..get the best car you can afford...and if it needs work..who will perform the work ...it is not cheap. Car clubs can help ya with some things..as many car repair shops will not work on the Older cars. Ask around at car shows...some owners are gettin out of the game and might get a deal on a nice driver..PICTURES ?? Good luck with your searches.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts