18 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
66 Impala SS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
OK so no slush fund in another bank organized @brickwhite , but I did manage some more progress over the weekend.

I've removed pretty much the front end now (give or take) and so some real dismantle progress can be seen.

I am having a bit of a time removing a few bolts on what I call the front bumper supports. Two of them come straight out from the chassis and the other one is the one on an angle from the chassis and that bolts at the intersection of the front fender and front guard. See photos:

I've used multiple loosening fluids, and over multiple days. I've even given the bolts the evil eye and a few choice words but they still wont budge. Next will be going to get a small gas bottle and heat the bolts up. I really don't want to have to resort to cutting them off but if it comes to it then I guess that's what I'll have to do. But as I'm not in a rush so that will be the absolute last resort. I'll keep chipping away at them in the meantime.

At the end of the day this is where I'm up to:

As I have limited space, I hung the fenders from the roof of the shed for safe storage.

I have decided that once the body is off that the chassis will definitely get powder coated. I have done some research and it definitely looks the way to go. I have to thank @brickwhite for the photo and the suggestion.

Until next week end....cheers :D (y)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about cutting those bolts off. For all you're planning on doing, you're probably not going to reuse them anyway.

·
Registered
66 Impala SS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yeah good point Craig. If they’re giving me this much grief now then they’ll probably give me grief again putting it back together. I should be able to get replacements easy enough.

·
Registered
66 Impala SS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So I've finished work for the day and I've been sorting through my photos etc making sure that they are catalogued properly and all notes of removed parts are made and stored safely. Day off tomorrow so I'll be back out in the shed and continuing the removal process.

In the meantime I'm making a bit of a list of the process just so I can plan. I like to plan....

Anyway, I'd be interested in the thoughts of those who have been down this path and see if my plan of how to tackle the order of things is ok, or there might be a slight change in the order of doing things. Here goes:

1. Remove, tag, take copious amounts of notes and photos - in the process of doing this
2. Remove engine and transmission
3. Body off frame
4. Frame out for sandblast and powder coat
5. Install:
a. Disc conversion (front and rear),​
b. replace diff if I go down that path, otherwise recondition current one (I'm leaning towards replacing)​
c. Suspension and steering​
d. Install fuel and brake lines​
6. Soda blast underbody, treat and repaint
7. Engine and transmission completed and installed on frame
8. Paint firewall
9. Body back on chassis
10. Repair and undercoat fenders, doors, boot lid (trunk I think you guys call it) and bonnet (hood) both sides of each
11. Repair and undercoat the body
12. Repair/replace as required, all engine bay parts and paint
13. Install rest of engine bay items:
a. brake system​
b. radiator​
c. aircon​
d. other bits I'm yet to learn about​
14. Paint inside of all front end panels/parts
15. Fit fenders back on car
16. Check fit doors, hood and trunk lid and remove
17. Leave off the front upper and lower panels as they need to be painted and then the grille sections bolted/rivetted back on
18. Paint inside vehicle
a. cabin​
b. boot​
19. Install wiring harness
20. Sound deadener, carpet underlay
21. Somewhere in here are the seats and door cards being reupholstered
22. Install dash items
23. Interior except seats, carpet, hood lining, lights, speakers etc is now in place
24. Inside of hood and trunk lids, doors and A pillar etc painted ready for panels to be bolted back on
25. re-Check all fitments of doors, hood, trunk lid and complete installation
25. sand, reprime, sand and sand and sand to make sure the body is perfect
26. Ensure new glass, wheels and anything else has been ordered
27. Paint car
28. Become even more impatient now that I'm sooooo close
29. Install rest of interior
30. Polish paintwork so that it is like glass
31. Install trim work that somewhere in here has gone off to be rechromed
32. Install front and rear glass
33. Grin like an idiot now that the car is complete

cheers

21 - 25 of 25 Posts