Impalas.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to get a new Battery for my '72 C-10. The old Battery was pretty impressive. At the 5 year mark, I started to realize that I had a pretty good Battery here. I could let the truck sit for as long as 3 months in the dead cold of the winter yet and it would fire right up with no problem. At 6 years it still was the same. Then 7, 8, 9, 10. Then 11, 12, 13. Finally it started showing some weakness at 13 years, 6 months. Soon after, when I didn't started the truck for about 3 weeks, it just did not have enough power to crank it over and it got it's first jump start ever. But if I drove it at least every week, it would still start. It got it's first re-charge ever at 13 years, 7 months. I made it to 13 years, 8 months but that was about it. I had stretched it long enough, lol. This was a Federated Battery that I bought brand new in February of 09. It was also documented as it had the punched out numbers on it to verify it. What was the longest you ever got from a Battery?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Not exactly the same, but a good story nonetheless, I met a man here in AZ. Vic had bought his 65 Impala SS new, and he ordered it with a 283 4 speed, later had an a/m a/c put in. There was a day when Sears offered a “lifetime” battery, Vic bought it, i believe in the late 60’s, you know at car shows, cruise in’s guys will have a book on their restoration’ with pics etc. well Vic had a book and a sign about his lifetime battery and it was on battery number 13,16 or whatever it was, he never. had to pay for another battery. Who ever ended up selling that brand that Sears had, still honored the warranty, I guess at times with blow back, but they ended up replacing it, some parts store carry’s it now? and still replace it. in his book was the original invoice, and every invoice of every battery ever replaced. He had a lot of fun telling the story. car has over 200k on it. not the same as getting a lot of years out of one battery, but sure made me think of Vic.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Not exactly the same, but a good story nonetheless, I met a man here in AZ. Vic had bought his 65 Impala SS new, and he ordered it with a 283 4 speed, later had an a/m a/c put in. There was a day when Sears offered a “lifetime” battery, Vic bought it, i believe in the late 60’s, you know at car shows, cruise in’s guys will have a book on their restoration’ with pics etc. well Vic had a book and a sign about his lifetime battery and it was on battery number 13,16 or whatever it was, he never. had to pay for another battery. Who ever ended up selling that brand that Sears had, still honored the warranty, I guess at times with blow back, but they ended up replacing it, some parts store carry’s it now? and still replace it. in his book was the original invoice, and every invoice of every battery ever replaced. He had a lot of fun telling the story. car has over 200k on it. not the same as getting a lot of years out of one battery, but sure made me think of Vic.
kind of like this story... 😁 Bumper to Bumper......

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi Bill, I am very partial to Interstate batteries. They seem to last longer than I'd expect - 5+ years. But they are a bit pricey. I grew up in Montana when winters could reach -40F. Of course nothing started when its that cold unless it is inside or you have a tank heater. Tank heaters were almost mandatory as no one in the circle a ran in had a garage. And you could also get a heater for the battery. (Cold batteries don't work very well but don't tell the EV owners that.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts