Impalas.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,
Hope everyone is well, many thanks to everyone on this community!
i installed a pertronix distributor d100700, coil 45011 and ac delco r44xls plugs to my 65 stock 396/325hp, the "interim shop manual" recommends timing (BTDC)2 range of 2-8 deg. for standard ignition and 4-16 deg. transistorized ignition, the y add that timing should be advance as far as possible within specs.
What do you guys think ?
Thanks

·
Registered
432 Posts
This may help:

It's the combination of 'initial' and 'vacuum'. A total of approx 24 degrees BTDC is a very 'good' place to be.

'Measure' how many degrees of advance you get at idle with full manifold vacuum advance. AND 'measure' the initial timing with the vacuum advance disconnected/plugged. 12 initial/12vacuum, or 14 initial/10 vacuum or anywhere in the range is fine. 10 initial/15 vacuum is about where a vacuum limiter would be employed.

Reading the attached (authored by Dave Ray) may help.

Mechanical/centrifugal is not 'adjustable' but can be changed by futzing with the springs and weights. Don't bother unless it's necessary.

Pete

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,455 Posts
Lots of great info in there. Definitely agree that you're best served in the 10-16 range. Lots of varying factors go into whats best for you though. Engine condition, gas quality, elevation, average temperature, timing in the distributor weights/springs, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Folks,
well i call pertronix to get technical assistance on the ignition timing since i install the flame thrower 2 distributor and coil on my stock 396/325 stock engine, the tech said not to change the timing from the stock points ignition(65 Chevrolet manual recommends(btdc) 2-8 deg with standard ignition and 4-16 deg with transistorized ignition with advance hose disconnected and pluged, Chevrolet also recommends to advance as far as possible, i did the standard and i got some serious back fire! i kept messing with it until i got 16deg and it appears to be good, connected the vac and checked again at about 2900 rpm 32 deg.
what do you guys think
good day
Max

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Folks,
well i call pertronix to get technical assistance on the ignition timing since i install the flame thrower 2 distributor and coil on my stock 396/325 stock engine, the tech said not to change the timing from the stock points ignition(65 Chevrolet manual recommends(btdc) 2-8 deg with standard ignition and 4-16 deg with transistorized ignition with advance hose disconnected and pluged, Chevrolet also recommends to advance as far as possible, i did the standard and i got some serious back fire! i kept messing with it until i got 16deg and it appears to be good, connected the vac and checked again at about 2900 rpm 32 deg.
what do you guys think
good day
Max
i think it back fire because the distributor vac was still unplugged, time it to 8 deg at 650 rpm and ran pretty good

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Hello Folks,
Hope everyone is well, many thanks to everyone on this community!
i installed a pertronix distributor d100700, coil 45011 and ac delco r44xls plugs to my 65 stock 396/325hp, the "interim shop manual" recommends timing (BTDC)2 range of 2-8 deg. for standard ignition and 4-16 deg. transistorized ignition, the y add that timing should be advance as far as possible within specs.
What do you guys think ?
Thanks
I may be a bit confused, but your Pertronix system takes the place of your old points system but is not classified as a transistorized ignition which was available back in the day. I have Pertronix ignition in two 327's, from '64 and '65, and I used standard factory settings for timing and both cars run fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a million
I went ahead and did the factory recommendations of 8 deg at 650 rpm and she tested very good
Thanks again
Max

1 - 7 of 7 Posts