Impalas.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 imp. 283. PG. 321 rear
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
High miles on a 63 PG aluminum case that’s never been dropped or rebuilt but has always had PM. Engine swap From a 6 to the V-8 283 Powerpacks.
Slow accelerating at the Long Hill at 40. I was promised but I don’t know that a new band install and rebuild would fix the problem. The second speed shift is hesitating and kind of slips in .
Comment here anyone’s had the this repair fix. 🇺🇸

·
Super Moderator
3,496 Posts
I'm no tranny expert but having had one behind a 327/4-barrel I can tell you that you definitely have to limit your expectations on acceleration. :-D Being a 2-speed, it is essentially like taking off in 2nd gear and then it shifts to 3rd. All of that great torque multiplication (seat of the pants power) that you might normally feel with any other transmission is simply never going to exist with a PG.

That said - I don't know how slow it's feeling to you but the slow shift into the top gear does seem like a basic rebuild will address that. Bands are key to that rebuild. I don't think it would make sense to remove the trans and do the bands without doing the front pump and typical full rebuild kit so hopefully that is the plan for you and the repair guy.

·
Registered
63 imp. 283. PG. 321 rear
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm no tranny expert but having had one behind a 327/4-barrel I can tell you that you definitely have to limit your expectations on acceleration. :-D Being a 2-speed, it is essentially like taking off in 2nd gear and then it shifts to 3rd. All of that great torque multiplication (seat of the pants power) that you might normally feel with any other transmission is simply never going to exist with a PG.

That said - I don't know how slow it's feeling to you but the slow shift into the top gear does seem like a basic rebuild will address that. Bands are key to that rebuild. I don't think it would make sense to remove the trans and do the bands without doing the front pump and typical full rebuild kit so hopefully that is the plan for you and the repair guy.

I agree with what you said about the low power original feeling from a two speed. The difference with my set up was it was originally impala with a six cylinder so it was geared and torque differently from now that it has a 283. The biggest improvement of course is the more horsepower in first gear and the top range is not limited to 60 mph. Do you agree I’m inclined to to rebuild what I have because I know it’s predominately good. If I were to risk with the three speed it may not have been rebuilt correctly or it may have been miss used who knows?? I probably don’t have enough money for a brand new three speed. I appreciate all your insight with this thank you. 🇺🇸

·
Super Moderator
3,496 Posts
Puttin me in a tuff spot here. I am one of the last people to suggest buying parts and doing upgrades outside of someones direct line of questions.....buut since you asked...

I hate the PG. Seriously, its a boat anchor outside of drag racing.
On a budget, I think that money is way better spent making a 3 spd/TH350 happen.
With a little effort, you could probably even find a 4spd auto R200 which is practically a bolt in. Then you get a sweet OD too, and a better 1st gear. 200-4R Transmission: The Holy Grail of Power, Fuel Efficiency - Gearstar

Totally agree with you that its too risky of a gamble to assume that any used one will be A-OK. You gotta find a used one, with torque converter, and just have it rebuilt.
Im sure there a slight cost increase but that old tranny has to come out anywY, this is an opportunity! Got to find a way to rake together a little extra cash.....or barter labor/skills.
Thats my 2 cents anyway.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts