Impalas.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Team,
i have a 64 Impala with a 327 and I was told that it was a 2 speed powerglide. The first thing I need to do is figure if this true. I think ot is because It only shifts once. Is there a way tk look at it and verify this?

My next question is when I floor the gas pedal I get no down shift. Is this normal a 2 speed or shoud I be getting a down shift?

My next question is when the transmission downshifts it is extremely hard. This goes away once the car is at running temp.

Don't know if I migt need a rebuild or not.

Hector,

·
Premium Member
13,142 Posts
Shift points are determined by two things engine vacuum to the vacuum modulator, and the mechanical weights and springs on the governor. Sounds to me like you need to replace the vacuum hose that runs from the manifold down to the vacuum modulator.

Big Dave

·
Registered
63 imp. 283. PG. 321 rear
10 Posts
Shift points are determined by two things engine vacuum to the vacuum modulator, and the mechanical weights and springs on the governor. Sounds to me like you need to replace the vacuum hose that runs from the manifold down to the vacuum modulator.

Big Dave
Comment for placement of vacuum lines. The line from the transmission should be connected to the rear of the carburetor , not The intake manifold. At the tea connection the third line attaches to the advance on the distributor. Check to see that the kick down rod was not removed by some other work. Common if it engine or transmission was changed. And they don’t reinstall the rod because I don’t know how to. Scott63

1 - 4 of 4 Posts