Impalas.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please recommend the best and correct trunk spatter paint for a 1963 Impala SS.

Also, is cast blast usually used to paint the rear differential carrier?

·
Super Moderator
13,076 Posts
I don't think the rear end was painted at the factory. The dealership may have plastered it with undercoating but they didn't paint it. The trunk had a splater paint of light grey and either white and green latex or gren and pink splater just can not remember.

Big Dave

·
Registered
1,413 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dave. I'm pretty certain you're right about no paint on differential case from factory. I quess better question would be what paint have people found to most look like the original cast iron look and avoid rusting now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks David. Great lead. I've been to enough Chevy car shows over the years to see trunk interiors that just don't look "right". My guess they're either painted from spray cans or the painter just mixes up some paint on the fly with some latex in it.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Allan. Like duh! I bought lots of paint products from Eastwood in the 90"s and just forgot about them. I used their chassis black for my frame plus spray gray, aluma blast, ... for detailing. Thanks again.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The rear axle assemblies were supplied by either Detroit Gear & Axle or Buffalo. They arrived at the assembly plants on pallets as compleete assemblies (drum to drum with the third member) and the entire assembly was painted with a thin coat of black paint.
Verne

1 - 10 of 10 Posts