Impalas.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 Impala SS 396 Convertible
63 Posts
Hi. Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by "trunk rail". Did you mean that portion of the frame? If so, could be the VIN or a partial VIN. GM stamped the frames in 1 or 2 places to help with ID.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you open the trunk and look where the rear quarters weld to the trunk, in that channel there are numbers on the
left and right about halfway up the channell.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
There are not only numbers on the trunk rail, but also on the front fenders as well.

·
Premium Member
1965 Impala SS 396 Convertible
63 Posts
HI Tberg: Can you read the numbers? Are they partial or full VINs? GM often stamped frames and other large parts with sequence numbers to make sure they came down the line in the correct order for assembly. Might be something like that if not a VIN.
Bob

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just went and checked the numbers
Drivers side trunk rail H 50 1
Pass. side trunk rail H 49 1
Drivers side front quarter A 12192 B
Pass side front quarter no numbers
All of these number dont jive with the VIN or the sequence number

·
Registered
452 Posts
if I had to guess that was a part # due to the sequential 49 & 50. they might also be what are called 'fiducial marks'? don't ask me I have no clue understanding what those are. however, if you go online to the GM Heritage site and download the Archive Vehicle Kit for your year/model, near the back you may find schematic drawings showing these marks and numbers.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
It's been a real long time since that subject has surfaced, but it also could be some kind of Julian Date Code.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts