Impalas.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to paint the inner fender wells on my '61.
I want the black. I see some nice cars that they appear to be a gloss black...
then some appear a satin.
I want something durable..

Any thoughts on what is used here...?

Looking at Eastwoods Under hood black or there chassis black...

Help.

Thanks, Hammerit-

·
Registered
467 Posts
Thanks for that link, David! I just happen to be prepping and going to paint my inner fender-wells this very weekend - and was wondering what to paint them with! Krylon, here I come!

Very helpful.. Thanks! ~ m.

·
Super Moderator
3,369 Posts
just a note - that Eastwood Chassis black is a great paint BUT, it's VERY glossy, I'm not sure you'll like it on the fenderwells.

The Underhood black is great stuff as well, more like a satin look. I like it.

There's a Rustoleum Satin black "All Surface" that I used on my fenderwells and I liked it a lot. (pics in blog)

·
Super Moderator
13,041 Posts
I wouldn't obsess over the shade of black (density) because it varied from day to day at the factory running from pure black to charcoal gray depending upon the level of the paint in the rail car they were drawing from and the temp outside the factory. It was supposed to be a semi gloss black, any brand will get you there. Rustoleum and POR-15 are epoxy plastic based paints that are very durable compared to other brands.

Big Dave

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.
I knew the semi gloss would be the way just not sure on what paint.
I did not want it to look cheapened by my using low grade rattle can paint.
'Cause thats what I used on the chassis..LOL
I will go with the Rustoleum Satin Black.

Thanks
Hammerit-

·
Registered
467 Posts
I actually ended up using Rustoleum Satin-black, as the Krylon wasn't available -and I LOVE the results. It looks mucho better than the bad attempt the previous owner pulled - and I'll post before and after pics later on my page. Although mine came from a 'spray can - i think using the right prep and lots of time and a good technique made it come out okay.

It certainly looks better than it did 5 days ago!

Mitch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts