Impalas.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone started to make a beefed up axles for the origanal rear for a 1964 impala. axles that if you apply some power the splines wont rip apart. thanks

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have had bad luck with my stock rear axles/differential. Once a tooth flew off the ring gear while on the freeway, punched a hole in the casting, on other occasions, twice I have broke axles, and twice had them slip out on me. So when I had my differential rebuilt by J&S Gear in Huntington Beach CA, I had beefed up axles installed. He got them custom machined from somebody in Oregon as I recall.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Super Moderator
13,140 Posts
If you are not worried about being dinged at a judged car show for originality, you can install a bullet proof Dana 60 axle under you car out of a Ford pick-up truck that has been shortened and has custom axles with the required brackets for mounting it in your car already installed as sold by Currie. Or you can install a 12 bolt from a 1965-'70 Impala by changing the mounting brackets over to match your car.

Your rear end was designed for a 150 horse power stove bolt 235 cubic inch six cylinder. The 265 cubic inch (that later swelled to 283 cubic inches) was an after tough. Because the same axle was used and broken every weekend behind a 348-409 motor Chevy was forced to buy a stronger axle from Spicer Dana corp in 1965 to reduce warranty claims. Usually the spider gears break first, then the axles let go when thicker spider gears out of a MOPAR rear end are installed. Custom alloy aftermarket axles (from Moser, or Strange Engineering) will give you a 20% increase in strength.

Big Dave

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im planning on putting a mildly built 327 tri power in a 1964 impala and i needed to find beefed up axles for the original rear, so no chopping has to be done. thanks for you posts guys

1 - 4 of 4 Posts