Impalas.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have to remove the fender and inner fender well to take off the upper control arm on a 64 impala?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I don't think so. Once you have the arm freed from the ball joint and unbolted from the frame, you could actually pull it up through the engine side of the fender well. I also think the opening is big enough to pull it out the other way.

I did mine with the fender well removed, but I was doing lots of stuff and it made sense to remove them, even though they are a pain to remove.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got the passenger side off but the damn driver side is giving me pr oblems im h itting the steering shaft ... how do i get it off are these bolts pressed in?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
To remove the shaft, you have to loosen two clamp type bolts. The top one near the "U-joint".

The silver clamp and nut/bolt can be seen here

What the U-joint looks like with the clamp and shaft removed. Notice the cut out for the clamping bolt to pass through. If memory serves, there is a groove in the shaft to keep the shaft from slipping up or down. So the bolt must be removed entirely for the shaft to slide out.

There is another clamp style bolt below the rag joint, it has a spline style head and clamps the rag joint to the steering box. With those loose, you should be able to remove the steering shaft (remember the u-joint slides a bit

The steering box shaft has a similar groove, so remove the spline head bolt all the way as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts