Impalas.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what a good running, complete turnkey 1967 327 is worth these days? Not just a full engine, but stater, water pump, power steering, alternator, air cleaner, intake, carb, distributor, wires, coil and exhaust manifold.

·
Super Moderator
13,043 Posts
Less than a 1968 that has the larger crank journals and accessory holes in the head to mount the accessories closer to the motor to prevent belts being thrown. Worth much more to some one who wants a date code correct rebuildable core to build for his restoration. But because of the small crank it is cost prohibitive to build it as a 355 or a 383 which most want over a 327 because bigger is better.

Big Dave

·
Super Moderator
1,511 Posts
If I needed to buy one, 800. If I needed to sell one, 300-500. It's only worth what someone will pay for it.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Most of us 327 lovers out there really desire the '62 to '67 ones. The value of the engine would really depend on the Mileage on it, the results of a Compression test, etc.

For one in reasonably good condition and not having high mileage would go for a low of $500 and a high of $900 in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
13,043 Posts
By looking at the block casting it seems to be a 1965, but how about the stamping any idea what IHAR engine option would be?
In 1965 base engines were not stamped. Only the high horse small block (such as the 365 horse 327) or a BBC (396 or 409) was marked with a partial VIN.

There will be a date code for build date and a two letter engine application code telling you what car the motor was installed in, power rating, and transmission used. This will be stamped upon the engine ID pad of the block in front of the passenger head.

Big Dave

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the images I have included just state it was a base 327 engine? The F082IHAR to me states Flint, August 2nd and IHAR doesn't match any codes I have found.

·
Registered
954 Posts
By looking at the block casting it seems to be a 1965, but how about the stamping any idea what IHAR engine option would be?
OK, what you have here is a little puzzling at first, but Chevrolet is famous for using an "I" for a 1. I believe the Date Code on the Pad is actually 08-21 (August 21).

Now that means the Engine Code is actually HAR. HA is listed as a '65 327 with a 4-Speed Trans. The "R" means Rochester Carb.

The reason for that is because some of those engines were offered with a Holley Carb, which would have an "H".

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That makes sense or my other theory was the guy doing the stamping just mixed up his I & H... a rough night out for him :)

·
Registered
954 Posts
It actually proves itself, as 082 would be impossible as your Date Code (Casting Code) is 819 (August 19). The Block Casting Date, of course, has to be before the Engine Build Date.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts