Impalas.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All
I would appreciate hearing from those of you that have already done suspension and brake upgrades to your cars, and get your opinions/advice as to which vendors you'd recommend, and vendors that you would avoid. Specifically, I'm looking at Global West and Hotchkis for front and rear suspension upgrades as an example. I've seen some folks say avoid CPP. All opinions gladly welcome here. Thanks to all, and Happy New Year.

·
Super Moderator
3,546 Posts
I have pieces from both GW and Hotchkis on my 66 vert. (and GW on a Camaro as well) You can't go wrong with either of those companies, they are both powerhouses and truly spend time designing and testing their products. I did GW on my front A-arms due to the improvements to cornering camber gain, etc. I used Hotchkis adj upper control arms on the rear-end and plan to get someones Track Bar very soon.
I'm not a fan of CPP or POL due to my perceived, comparable overall quality. There's a thread on this site with a side-by-side comparison of the front arms from GW vs POL I think it was. GW better by a long shot.

On brakes, obviously Wilwood and Baer are top tier and stand by their products. There are kits out there from others like The Right Stuff that are OK but for me, I'm not willing to put A-body sized disc brakes on my 4000lb B-body. Ditto for the disc brakes that are made to fit onto the drum brake spindle. I just don't have as much confidence in that setup for how I'll be driving - but I'm sure either solutions are fine for a regular cruiser.
I haven't done the brake upgrade just yet - but plan to go with either Wilwood or a C3 Vette setup. (it's basically like the 69-70 Impala setup)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have pieces from both GW and Hotchkis on my 66 vert. (and GW on a Camaro as well) You can't go wrong with either of those companies, they are both powerhouses and truly spend time designing and testing their products. I did GW on my front A-arms due to the improvements to cornering camber gain, etc. I used Hotchkis adj upper control arms on the rear-end and plan to get someones Track Bar very soon.
I'm not a fan of CPP or POL due to my perceived, comparable overall quality. There's a thread on this site with a side-by-side comparison of the front arms from GW vs POL I think it was. GW better by a long shot.

On brakes, obviously Wilwood and Baer are top tier and stand by their products. There are kits out there from others like The Right Stuff that are OK but for me, I'm not willing to put A-body sized disc brakes on my 4000lb B-body. Ditto for the disc brakes that are made to fit onto the drum brake spindle. I just don't have as much confidence in that setup for how I'll be driving - but I'm sure either solutions are fine for a regular cruiser.
I haven't done the brake upgrade just yet - but plan to go with either Wilwood or a C3 Vette setup. (it's basically like the 69-70 Impala setup)

Thanks BA. Much obliged!

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Most of my 69 suspension is Global West but Hotchkis is also a good company.
Global West vs the Chinese copies

I previously had a rear CPP disk conversion kit but was never happy with it. Now I have a Kore3 C6 Corvette conversion on all four corners that has been great. The 69-70 kit is not listed in the catalog, you have to call Tobin and ask about it because it is a small run of front hubs. Service has always been first rate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks John. I plan to try and get with GW and start getting suspension parts on hand. Have seen some of the videos, very interesting.

·
Registered
1967 Impala SS 427
26 Posts
I have Hotchkis on my 1967 Impala SS 427 and it is amazing! you will not be disappointed. Only con is its VERY expensive but I feel was worth it. Rides like a Lincoln and handles like a Corvette.

·
Super Moderator
3,546 Posts
oh, fwiw, there is a swaybar available from ADDCO (or via Summit Racing/Jegs) that is an excellent swaybar. Very noticeable difference. It's solid steel, not the hollowed center like some others.
Might be worth price comparison.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks BA. HOPEFULLY, suspension and brakes this spring/summer. Driveline and electrical after that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts