Impalas.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have this 327 300 hp engine in my 64 impala,3.08 pumkin and a turbo glide all stock. The carb is a new rebuilt carter ,,this car is a pig on gas, i run run hi test in it.The car is gutless my 283 i had in it had more punch,and i never go over 60 i drive it like a baby carrage, she runs about 19 thow at that speed

·
Premium Member
13,142 Posts
Yes that is why the factory initiated going to EFI, abandoning carburetors and points fired ignitions, and single and even double overdrive transmissions in modern vehicles over the past thirty five years. Soon cars will be the size of Dixie cups made of aluminum and plastic to get to the required 45 miles to a gallon mandate. Aren't you glad you have a piece of old American iron.

Big Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wait, your car is a 'pig' at 19mpg?

Mine gets 12.5 mpg. If it's all stock, then I have to ask when the last time it was rebuilt? Have you done anything to improve the mileage or performance?

·
Premium Member
13,142 Posts
Don't forget ignition timing and spark intensity has a lot to do with mileages as well. Getting the fuel air mix is half the battle getting it lit and burning completely while still in the chamber is the job of the ignition.

By the way all of my hot rods would be hard pressed to exceed 8 mpg, most were down around three miles to the gallon; with one race car I built requiring two gallons to the mile. All part of the cost of doing business in my opinion.

If mileage and performance is desired then a 6.0 or a 6.2 liter LS-3 or LQ-9 motor is what you want.

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines/ls3.html

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_0710_6l_ls_series_small_block/

Big Dave

·
Registered
1,426 Posts

·
Registered
63 imp. 283. PG. 321 rear
10 Posts
i have this 327 300 hp engine in my 64 impala,3.08 pumkin and a turbo glide all stock. The carb is a new rebuilt carter ,,this car is a pig on gas, i run run hi test in it.The car is gutless my 283 i had in it had more punch,and i never go over 60 i drive it like a baby carrage, she runs about 19 thow at that speed
My 63 engine 283 the PGA that’s great torque and plenty of power highway and it’s set up with power pack heads. Square with a triangle stamp. 3.21 gear. 9 to 12 in PG average with super ethanol gas. Friends tell me if I run it with regular grade gas I’ll get better mileage. Is this is true anybody. ???

·
Super Moderator
1,586 Posts
I suggest 91 octane in anything pre-71. I also only use non-ethanol in anything with a carb.

·
Super Moderator
3,455 Posts
It's true '...excessive octane can hinder performance', so it does seem logical to extend that thought to mileage but I (personally) seriously doubt the 2-4 points is enough for anyone to notice or measure. JMHO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts