Impalas.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm sure this has been done a lot. I'm looking to add an am/fm stereo to my 67 impala. It came with an AM radio and I still have it, and I bet it works. But of course I want a little better sound with Fm radio and maybe even bluetooth. I also don't really want to spend $350 on a Retro sound, but might need to I guess. I definitely don't want to do any cutting.

Is there anything else that would fit. Just an old school two knob type stereo but with some modern rca connections and possibly bluetooth?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually fit a standard removable DIN unit into the original slot about 30 yrs ago, but IIRC I had to notch out the upper right corner so it was a rectangle becuse it has a curved corner there IIRC
Interesting. any pics?

The trim piece has knob holes so it would have to be an old 2 knob style. Not many make those anymore other than retrosound and a couple others.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Do you want a functioning radio? I never listen to the AM or FM radio anymore, too many commercials.
Me too, I can't stand the talk back either. My car came with a single din AM/FM stereo with a stereo aux jack, so I just plug an Ipod with all my music in, it's bliss. I had some repairs done a few years back so I had the aerial removed & the hole welded up & painted, that's bliss too, no more hassles with car covers & it looks better without it I think.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you want a functioning radio? I never listen to the AM or FM radio anymore, too many commercials. If you don't care about radio reception, you could put in a blue tooth adapter to your amplifier and play tunes from your phone.
Excellent idea! I didn’t realize you could even do that. But I have seen Bluetooth adapters with rca outs on them
Then I could just put the original am radio in for appearance. My antennae hole was already plugged when I got the car anyway. I do turn on the radio in my other cars out of laziness sometimes but prefer to stream music.
Was planning on using the factory dash and seat locations and placing a couple DVC speakers. And a sub with amp in the trunk. I imagine that’s pretty common. I don’t know what speaker options my car had originally but I just removed the original dash speaker. Of course it was toast. Retro sound has one that’s supposed to fit. There’s not much room up there with the ac vent.
How would you power the amp on in this case? Just have it and the adapter come on with the key? I’ll probably have to run a dedicated circuit with a relay to a key on circuit as I’m sure amps need more power than the original radio wiring can provide.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Interesting. any pics?

The trim piece has knob holes so it would have to be an old 2 knob style. Not many make those anymore other than retrosound and a couple others.
that was done back about '93. and I disassembled about 2 yrs later so all the stuff has been in boxes since then

sounds like the other solutions being posted (which were not available back then) may work better for you

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Excellent idea! I didn’t realize you could even do that.
you will need a "hard wired USB power adapter" like this one to get the 12v to USB 5.5v to power the Bluetooth adapter

And a Blue Tooth adapter like this one. I recently purchased one and I am trying to work out if it will be something I can hide inside my broken reproduction radio and have the volume control work. Whatever you get, make sure it supports at least Bluetooth 5.0. Not sure where the version cutoff is, but older versions had awful audio quality. This one is interesting to me because of the knob it has that will let you skip forward/backward, turn volume up/down. It does not work quite like I hoped, so some investigation on how the circuit works will be needed. Quick turn of the knob Skips. Long turn on the knob adjusts volume. Pushing down Play/Pause.

I have a 64, so provision for speakers is probably a bit different than 67, and there are probably more options available for 64. But you might find some ideas from what I did.

2 way 6x9s in the parcel shelf
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior

I took a reproduction cardboard parcel shelf and cut holes for the sound, then covered with fabric and sprayed with fabric dye to match the interior.
Window Azure Rectangle Wood Hood

Amp in the trunk. I hooked it up with a large muti-pin connector, so it can be removed for judged events.
Rectangle Output device Grey Audio equipment Gas

Kick panel speakers using the retro sound kick panels that are made to hold a speaker.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle door Automotive exterior

This is the repro radio I have that died. When it worked, the line out fed the amps in back
Office equipment Audio equipment Gadget Gas Electronic instrument

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you don't want to cut anything for speakers, options are limited for a 1967 convertible. I just went through this. I installed the factory AM/FM and 8-Track unit (it installs below the dash), upgraded to modern electronics with Bluetooth. And wanted to install speakers WITHOUT cutting anything metal on the car.

Here is what I currently have for speakers: Two 3½" speakers in the kick-panels behind the factory stereo option speaker grills. There is not much room behind the kick panels. I then jammed two 4"x6" speakers into the rear seat speaker grill. It sounds OK, but lacks bottom end. I'm not currently using dash area for speakers, but I may add them. I'm also looking at a larger single DVC solution for the rear seat speaker grill.

For 10 years, I had an Alpine AM/FM/CD custom mounted in my glove compartment and I hated it. I had to open the glove box to change stations or CDs.

I like Bluetooth to amp solution, but you need to figure out the speakers set up that will work for you.

Here is a picture of a of my kick panel speakers:
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Here is a picture of a radio delete plate (not mine), if you decide to remove the non-working radio altogether and use the Bluetooth/amp solution.
Computer Automotive design Audio equipment Gas Computer hardware

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you will need a "hard wired USB power adapter" like this one to get the 12v to USB 5.5v to power the Bluetooth adapter
Nice looking install. You're right, there is not as much reproduced for the '67. No kick panels and I hate to cut my originals because they are in good shape. And being a convertible I don't have a rear shelf for speakers. I think my strategy is going to be using a Custom Autosound with bt and pre outs built in, IMO those look the best and most original out of the choices I've seen.. I already installed a dual VC dash speaker and I'll try to fit a decent dual VC speaker into the rear seat grill. and then get a dual sub box in the truck that is removable like yours. Although my car is already sort of a resto-mod so it won't be original. But I don't want to cut it up. All of the mods done so far can be easily reversed with the right motivation and parts. And my interior is all period correct thus far, other than the new radio I'll install. But I am holding onto all the original parts I remove.

Thanks for the pics, awesome looking ride!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you don't want to cut anything for speakers, options are limited for a 1967 convertible. I just went through this. I installed the factory AM/FM and 8-Track unit (it installs below the dash), upgraded to modern electronics with Bluetooth. And wanted to install speakers WITHOUT cutting anything metal on the car.
You are right, we are very limited. But a trunk sub will help a lot with the bass. I also wondered about shoving two speakers into the rear grill, not sure how I'll fit them in yet or how they'll sound because there isn't much actual grill area and part of two larger speaers would be blocked off by the seat foam, probably enough for either 1 6.5" speaker (DVC) or maybe two smaller ones like you did.

I did shove a 5x7 into the dash. That is the tiniest $90 speaker I have ever seen, 100 watts to boot! we'll see how it sounds. The original I pulled out was larger, 4x10 but Retro Sound said this 5x7 was a custom fit speaker, NOT. I had to pry and shove to squeeze it in. the defrost and AC vents leave little room for any speaker in there.

Oh and I like your kick panel speakers. I don't' know if mine had that option, but my kick panels are not original to the car and do not have grills. I'd have to cut them in and find grills which I wouldn't mind since it is factory correct on some, but like you said very little room there anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts