Impalas.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's almost time to start doing work to the 64 I got. It's currently red with its what appears to be original silver interior.

The trim tag says the car should be ermine white with silver interior. I can admit that a nice car is a nice car no matter what the color is, but white just isn't my thing. I would like to add from what I've read you could get ember red with silver interior. It was one of 3 or 4 colors available to the silver.

I really like the red with the silver. I've haven't seen many 64s with silver interior which is why I would like to keep keep it that way.

Would you repaint it in ermine white or do what you like and go with ember red?

This car isn't a highly optioned car, it has a 283, not the 327. The only thing going for it is SS and Factory AC. I don't think the color change would make it less desireable. Hell I loved it that's why I bought it. But I love to hear what other impala lovers have to say. Which is why I'm asking for your opinions.

Also, the rear dummy antenna was dealer installed right? As long as the cut was in the right place adding a dummy would be fine right? I can't have a 64 without dual antennas.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I used to be a purist. If the car was originally painted the color I didn't like I didn't buy it. I used to like yellow. I had a 65 catalina a 78 Cadillac a 70 corvette and my 72 GTO all yellow. After 20 years of yellow cars 10 years with the GTO I felt it was time for a change so I painted the GTO Adriatic blue. The color is correct for a 72 GTO but not for that car. After 5 years of blue this is the best decision I ever made. I am happy with it and if others are not they can just move on down the street.
So I vote paint it what you want. It is YOUR car.
Drill that antenna hole no problems and like you said a 64 needs two antennas.

·
Super Moderator
13,041 Posts
I agree it is your car. Paint it the color you want. I would advise to be sure that you are painting over mostly metal and not Bondo covering newspapers stuffed in a cavernous rust cavern. New paint could be hiding a lot of issues that the former owner was not willing to deal with.

Dual antennas on the rear was a common upgrade especially on an SS (which was just a pile of chrome and trim parts not a performance option). So yes you can easily add the extra antenna. Though if you have one on the front fender now that hole would have to be patched and a longer antenna cable run to the rear of the car.

You can even go on line and have a new trim tag made to reflect the way the car is after you upgrade it to color and rear antenna as that isn't against the law. Changing the VIN tag is; so it will never be an SS unless the model number on he VIN says it is now.

Big Dave

·
Super Moderator
3,369 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can even go on line and have a new trim tag made to reflect the way the car is after you upgrade it to color and rear antenna as that isn't against the law. Changing the VIN tag is; so it will never be an SS unless the model number on he VIN says it is now.

Big Dave

It may be legal but is it ethical? I do know about the trim tag being legal but I don't think I could do it. It's kinda the same as I feel about a non ss car being cloned to ss, it's not real.

I've been seeing far more 409 cars for sale then I've ever seen lately. I have the strong suspicion these people are buying the motors and 4 speeds, swapping the trim tag to reflect it having to having a 4 speed to help coax the buyer into believing they are actually getting a real 409 car. That's just a theory I have though. This is the second 64 SS I've owned, the first was is 1999 when I was in high school. I've been combing the Internet for them and buying auto traders since the mid 90s. It's almost an obsession I have lol. I find great interest in to what's available and where.

That's why I'm so curious about all these 409 cars.....

But yeah I do love Ember Red

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm not a super fan of either exterior color and white would be the most boring of the two - but I do think it would look good with the silver interior.

Although only a quarter-shot, this one looks good slammed!

http://stancewords.stanceworks.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/1964-chevy-impala-title.jpg
So what colors do you like?

I'm just curious, it doesn't matter or anything. Ember Red has always been one of my favorite Scolari but red in general is my go to for anything.

I really like azure aqua, and that yellowish color. Hell, there was a guy here who had a meadow green with a black vinyl top and surprisingly I thought it looked really good.

I'm not a fan of white interior because for a long time everyone in california seemed to want white interior. That fad must had lasted at least 15 years.

The car in the link is a a near perfect example of the car I would love to own if not ember red

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,041 Posts
Biggest problem I had with 409 cars were that most of the 409 motors I bought turned out to be 348's with a different oil pan bought as a service part. In the field you identify a 348 from the more desirable 409 by which side the dip stick tube entered the oil pan.

A few years later I ended up buying a lot of 396 engines that had 427 decals on the air cleaner. There, the only way to tell a 396 from a 427 apart was by the casting number, or a full tear down. I learned that if you assume everyone is trying to scam you, and suspect the worst, you are rarely disappointed.

I never pay a dime more for an SS or a car covered with stripes and chrome than I do for a plane Jane six banger with a bench seat. Some one says to me they have a SS I say prove it (easily done on an early sixties Impala where an SS was different body style as it is on the VIN tag), but I was looking for Novas and Camaros to build back in the seventies, not big B-bodies.

With those cars there is no factory identification which is why there are five time more SS, RS, Z/28 cars on the road today than Chevy ever built without even considering attrition do to wrecks and trade in cars being crushed. Including the rare option of a 454 in a 1969 Z/28. This is a perfect example of building it your way, it's your car! (I just wouldn't have the big brass ones to put that car in a car show with the hood raised).

Big Dave

·
Super Moderator
3,369 Posts
For 60s cars I like the various blues, the turquoises, the aqua colors. I like that light yellow too.
I've just seen too much old, generic red. I do like the few maroon colors though. I like some newer reds with pearl or metallic in them but that would probably only work on a 64 if it was a show car or pro touring or restomod kind of deal.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
For 60s cars I like the various blues, the turquoises, the aqua colors. I like that light yellow too.
I've just seen too much old, generic red. I do like the few maroon colors though. I like some newer reds with pearl or metallic in them but that would probably only work on a 64 if it was a show car or pro touring or restomod kind of deal.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I would agree that red can be generic at times, but let's be real... most Impalas are painted some variation of red or blue, and if they aren't that they're white. Black is equal to sex if the body is laser straight though. You dont see a lot of cars that should be black. I see quite a few that are painted as such anyways because the owner is delusional.

I personally would never attempt a black car unless I had more money to throw at it than its worth, but I dont.

There's really nothing you can do that hasn't been done to a 64 impala. The 1964 Impala is known to virtually everyone, no matter what flavor their favorite taste is. I can drive my 66 around and by a landslide, people are less likely to stare, yell stuff, talk to me, or blah blah blah. But in the 64 everyone wants to give me/car some kind of attention.

I love 64s, it's my favorite year. However, I think 1960-63 are equally as nice, if not better looking at times. The 1961 in my opinion is perfect on the outside but the dash I find to be a killjoy, same with the 62s. I just really hate that aspect of those cars. I feel that the 64 is more well rounded. It may not be perfect at anything but it does really good at everything.

Geez... I keep running off on tangents. I must be getting old.

Oh and big Dave

I have never seen a 409 other than a picture. I have seen hundreds of Impalas if not more in person. Almost every single one them has had a 350, 327, or 283. The only true big block cars I have seen are the 348 in the 59-61, and the 396 in 65-67, and it aint been many. Again, that is only what I've personally witnessed. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the demographics I grew up in. I would say at least 80% of those cars were within the lowriding community where high HP and TQ has never been the ultimate goal. Those guys will typically keep the big block if it came original to the car, then it becomes some kind of unicorn.

That is why I'm so skeptical of what I see these days. I feel like a lot of people have completly thrown integrity out of the window. That's why they buy Chinese made **** because it appears to be the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts