Impalas.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all,

As the post title states I am working on converting my fathers '58 impala 2 door hard top to power disc brakes and I know that I will need to change the wheels (that was on his to do list anyway). I know I will need at least 15 inch wheels, which I think will be perfect with tires that maintain stock overall tire diameter. We have been considering a set of torque thrust wheels for it. American Racing shows 15X8 with 4.5 inch back space as the only option. Will these fit? I'm sure someone here has gone done this road before me and may have an answer. If that size does not fit, what will fit? I would consider up to a 16 inch wheel if they fit and look right. Also will wheels that clear in the front work for the rear? Or are those going to have be a different wheel?

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Travis

·
Registered
528 Posts
Here's a link for one process for measuring:

I have not used it, but it seems to have all the bases covered. I'm sure there are others.

In my opinion, accurately measuring YOUR car is more reliable than the experience(s) of other folks on their cars.

Personally, I'd keep the drums. The main advantage of discs is their better heat shedding from fade. If one drives in a manner where accumulation of heat from repeated hard braking is not expected, the drums work just fine.

Just trying to be helpful.

Pete

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks japete92,

I tried to explain to my father that the drums would be a better choice once serviced, but he just doesn't like the way they feel. He lives in an area with heavy traffic and he wants better feeling brakes, plus he tends to get on the brakes late which means he is on them pretty hard. I also think he is a bit gun shy, he had a really nice 1980 corvette that was destroyed in a chain reaction multi car rear end wreck recently. I will probably end up measuring for the wheels after I get the conversion done, I'm just trying to avoid having the car sitting on stands waiting on wheels, since there seems to be some pretty long wait times for some wheels.

Thanks,

Travis

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.