Impalas.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to restore a 1960 Impala Convertible that has a lot of rust. The floor and trunk pans are gone. I have access to a 60 biscayne 2 door (that also has substantial pan rust) and to a 60 4 door biscayne which has only minor surface rust. Which would be the better donor car for the convertible in terms of amount of all work needed, especially welding? Should I use the 4 door as the donor car (clean floor/trunk/rocker pans) or should I use the 2 door (more rust but less welding work needed)?

·
Premium Member
13,147 Posts
Welcome to the Team RV!

Everything forward of the fire wall on any 1960 Chevy is interchangeable. As to floor boards and such you are going to need either another convertible as a donor car or a two door hard top not a sedan. How is your farme as the convertible frame is special and unique to the convertible.

Big Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought the 2 door hardtop would be the best bet (after the convertible) but they are difficult to find in good condition. I am going to use a reinforced frame, transferring the 2 extra mounting brackets from the rusty frame.

If anyone knows of a good 2 door hardtop donor body shell for sale near southern California I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks Dave

·
Premium Member
13,147 Posts
There are convertible frames out there for sale. The metal that the frame is made from is thicker in a convertible frame, than in a normal frams as the frame has to hold up the entire car and can not rely upon the body for any structrual support.

Big Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts