Impalas.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any experience with the Wilwood 12.19" Front disk brake kit for drum brake spindles? I noticed it only increases track width by 1/8 inch.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the kit i am talking about. What did you use for master cylinder booster and proportion valve?

·
Registered
138 Posts
So far I kept everything stock, but I have a new 12 bolt with a set of Wilwoods on that which will be going in soon (in the next month). I'm just having problems with finding a brake kit to work with disc rears and wanted to just replace all of the lines and start new.

I have one from Great Stuff but they sent the wrong kit so I might call Classic Lines to see what they can do. I find it hard to believe there isn't a rear line kit for disc brakes. I also have a vacuum problem at the booster too. Things seemed to work fine early last summer but now at idle or rolling up to a stop the pedal gets really firm. I ran a vacuum gauge and its low at the manifold not the booster so I have to find that leak.

With this rear disc setup I was thinking of going with the Wilwood MC kit with the adjustable proportioning valve but I didn't pull the trigger on that buy yet.

The big thing to watch out for is if your wheels will fit the larger 12" kit.

·
Super Moderator
13,132 Posts
Most 12 inch brakes require a minimum of a 16 inch wheel. Since wheel selection is poor for 16's many opt for a 17 inch wheel. The factory 12 inch discs where only offered on station wagons and Cop cars which have there own special 5 on 5 bolt pattern with half inch wheel studs (they are actually metric but are closer to a half inch in size than the standard seven sixteenth inch studs used on Chevys before 1985).

Big Dave

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have old ET 15" rims and they fit fine, not much space but don't hit and give enough room. I made a mockup of the whole setup to make sure things fit before I bought the kit. If you want any pictures I can post a few on here. I should just do a new thread if it helps anyone when I get this project done.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes sir...I would love to see some pictures of the install if its not to much to ask. I am planning on installing their front brake kit and leaving the rear drum brakes as they are. I have a 92 model Chevy s10 truck that I bought to part out. I am thinking I might try to use the booster, master cylinder , proportioning valve and other parts if possible.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Dave ! Looks like a no brainer to me. Did the kit come with black rotors or did you special order. I am surprised at how substantial the calipers are. They don't look that good in the wilwood pictures.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I ordered the drilled and slotted version so that must have also included the black rotor. The rear kit I installed this winter was just the standard one and did not have a painted rotor and I wish it did.

The calipers are nice the one image might make them look bigger than they are, but still a nice 4 piston setup. All of the parts are top notch and nothing looked like it was some cheap overseas option like some of these kits might be.....but then again we paid a premium.

PM me if you want to talk about pricing. I bought them from this sites vendor sponsor, Matt's Classic Bowtie in California.

·
Super Moderator
13,132 Posts
I ordered the drilled and slotted version so that must have also included the black rotor. The rear kit I installed this winter was just the standard one and did not have a painted rotor and I wish it did.

The calipers are nice the one image might make them look bigger than they are, but still a nice 4 piston setup. All of the parts are top notch and nothing looked like it was some cheap overseas option like some of these kits might be.....but then again we paid a premium.

PM me if you want to talk about pricing. I bought them from this sites vendor sponsor, Matt's Classic Bowtie in California.
Wilwood makes a lot of his own parts and pedals them to NASCAR. Baer also custom makes their parts here in the USA but that excludes the big brake kits that the Camaro and Corvette used with Bembro or PBR brakes that are made in Italy or Australia respectively.

Where you have to be careful is with cheap disc brake kits that source GM part numbers for a late eighties (metric) disc brake assembly only using parts that are made in India or Pakistan. Those parts are on par with Chinese junk.

Big Dave

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
willwood kit 140-12022

Just wanted to report. I did finally order and install this Front brake kit. This is a wonderful way to convert from drum to disk brakes on one of these cars. All of the components are super high quality. I am extreamly happy with the results.

In the process I also converted from power assist to manual which removed the brake booster from the firewall. This was another home run and works great with this Wilwood kit.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Normally the master cylinder diameter is a different size when you go from power to manual or the other way around. If it seems like you need a ton of pressure to stop I would look at updating the MC.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looks great. I'm looking to convert the front drums on my 68, but I've been hesitant on the cheaper kits because of the track width change, and some of the parts they're using. I'm leaning towards keeping my rear drums to keep the price down, wife and kids, and the Wilwood guys have told me I can run their front brakes with the rear drum. And their kit seems to be about the only one that won't increase my track width an inch per side.

Nice to see someone else having success with their products.

Templar

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Looks great. I'm looking to convert the front drums on my 68, but I've been hesitant on the cheaper kits because of the track width change, and some of the parts they're using. I'm leaning towards keeping my rear drums to keep the price down, wife and kids, and the Wilwood guys have told me I can run their front brakes with the rear drum. And their kit seems to be about the only one that won't increase my track width an inch per side.

Nice to see someone else having success with their products.

Templar

I talked to wilwood a couple of times before I bought this kit. I had all my ducks an row when I called and they basically told me "yes, that should work" on two different subjects on both phone calls. Great company and great products

·
Registered
171 Posts
Great timing for this to pop up. Need to replace the fronts so looking at the disc conversion kit. Thanks. This thread makes it look like a great kit.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts