Impalas.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new to this or any forum for that matter so please excuse me if I appear to be a newbie. I am.
I have a 67 Impala with a windshield wiper problem. The wipers stopped working. The ground to the wiper motor check good. The fuse is good. I tested power at the motor and there wasn’t any. Since I had power at the fuse and nothing at the motor I figured it must be the switch so I replaced it. Still no power to the motor. I’m not a big electrical guy so I’m sure this is a no brainer for you guys but any help would be greatly appreciated. Have a great day!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Especially if it is all original, it may just have worn out and is time for a re-build. You could always take it out and bench test it, although if it is a 2-Speed, like it most likely is, it needs to be wired up correctly to properly test it.

·
Super Moderator
1,532 Posts
Try running a jumper directly from the battery to the wiper motor terminal. This will at least tell you if it's a problem with the unit or with the wiring.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Especially if it is all original, it may just have worn out and is time for a re-build. You could always take it out and bench test it, although if it is a 2-Speed, like it most likely is, it needs to be wired up correctly to properly test it.
Hey 62BillT. Thanks for responding so quick! I’m new at this forum thing so please bear with me. Is there another part of your response (I cant find it if there is). Based on what I see I assume you are talking about the windshield wiper motor? I was toying with the idea of pulling it and bench testing if nobody had any better advise. Shouldn’t I still get power up to the motor? Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Hey 62BillT. Thanks for responding so quick! I’m new at this forum thing so please bear with me. Is there another part of your response (I cant find it if there is). Based on what I see I assume you are talking about the windshield wiper motor? I was toying with the idea of pulling it and bench testing if nobody had any better advise. Shouldn’t I still get power up to the motor? Thanks again for the input.
Right, Windshield Wiper Motor itself. May not be a bad idea to see if power is getting delivered to it. Also try Jay's advice as well.

Although to properly test both Low and Hi Speeds, it needs to be connected correctly as mention. I used to know how to do it when I would test my many Wiper Motors, but after too many times getting the Low to work and not the Hi or the Hi to work and not the Low or even none at all, I gave up on them and just sell them as Cores now.

If you want to test it that way, maybe someone will jump in or you can try to find it in an internet search. I know it takes a Battery, a Switch and a bunch of Wires, just cannot remember which wire goes where.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, Windshield Wiper Motor itself. May not be a bad idea to see if power is getting delivered to it. Also try Jay's advice as well.

Although to properly test both Low and Hi Speeds, it needs to be connected correctly as mention. I used to know how to do it when I would test my many Wiper Motors, but after too many times getting the Low to work and not the Hi or the Hi to work and not the Low or even none at all, I gave up on them and just sell them as Cores now.

If you want to test it that way, maybe someone will jump in or you can try to find it in an internet search. I know it takes a Battery, a Switch and a bunch of Wires, just cannot remember which wire goes where.
No worries. I’ll do some research. I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me! Have a great day 62BillT.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Beautiful '66 in that link.

Love the stance.

Reactions: Winchester67
1 - 11 of 11 Posts