Impalas.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question concerning the Z11 brake kits that had the vented backing plates. First were they available on the 20 or so 1962 aluminum front end race cars that were built. 2nd it appears from pictures I have seen that the cover plates will cover the screen vented areas of the backing plate I assume to adjust for brake temperature during a race. 3rd I have heard and seen pics that there were air scoops used to help funnel the air to the screen vented areas of the backing plate. Did the covers double as the scoops or were the scoops a separate part. 4th From the pics I have seen it seems there were different types of screen used a 1/4 inch square chicken wire type and a tighter triangle type mesh. Does anybody have any detailed knowledge of these vented screened backing plates? I suppose it is possible the racers modified there own backing plates to the vented type but that would seem like a very complicated procedure to make all the parts. Thanks for any help I would love to know more about this subject as it just fascinates me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Interesting subject. If no one answers here, you may want to try over at the 348-409 site. There are a lot of old experts over there with impressive knowledge that may be able to help. They even have a Z-11 forum there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts